Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Reason Why

Why? Why am I running the Boston Marathon? Why did I choose to raise money for Dana-Farber?

I've answered these questions in many different ways, and it's taken me some time to figure out the real reason why I felt compelled to do this. I've listened to others speak of their personal connection to cancer. I've read about the stories that some have said inspired their desire to become a part of the team. And as I've taken all of this in, I realized that everyone's reason is different and that's what makes this team so special.

My reason: Cancer does not discriminate. Let me say that again this time in CAPS: CANCER DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE. Young, old, men, women. Mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters. We will all be affected, if we haven't yet, by cancer in our lifetime. This is why I'm running.

There are other things I could do to have an impact, but to me running the marathon with the hours of training, the ice packs, the advil, and the cold, just seemed like the thing that was meant for me to do.

And so far, I think I made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment