Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ready, Set, Blog!

And I'm off. Actually, not really. It's supposed to snow only 6-12 inches in Boston starting tonight and going into tomorrow, so I've decided I think I'll take this weekend off from running. I also have the excuse that I'm still recovering from some injuries, but somehow the prospect of blizzard-like conditions makes my legs start to hurt just like how my grandmother claims she knows when it's going to rain because her knees start to hurt. Yes, I just compared myself, 23, relatively healthy on a good day, to my almost 80-year-old grandma. She's really sprite for her age.

As you may know, I have started training for the 2009 Boston Marathon and have also started my fundraising efforts for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (http://www.runDFMC.org/zacharyd2009. That will be another post, and probably a few more).

Now, before I start blogging about how cold it is outside, the miserableness of running long distances, etc. etc., I want to first talk about why I'm doing this.

Beer!

Well, that's not totally true. While I do seem to go drinking after most runs, it is not my sole motivation. (On a side note, drinking after running is euphoric.)

Truthfully, the amazingness of this experience, and it's only been two months into my training, has been outstanding (I know, how can amazingness, a non-existent word, be described as outstanding? It just can so keep reading). The people I've met and the sense of accomplishment that I've already gained through my few long runs and my first race, has already given me more from this experience than I was expecting to get through the entire process.

This will be a long journey, but I know it will be a worthwhile one, and I hope you'll find a few minutes every week to follow along. I'll try to make it entertaining but for those who may be way too used to my sense of humor, I apologize in advance for all those jokes you don't find funny, but actually are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment