Monday, May 11, 2009

Recap...Finally

Instead of doing a whole another recap, I'm going to post the email I sent to all of my supporters.

Dear all,

I apologize for the tardiness of this email. The marathon is now a full 3 weeks behind us, and I'm sure some of you are of course eager to hear how everything went. First, I am writing this email so that means I'm not dead, which is a good thing. Second, I finished the entire race on my own, which, just like being alive, is also a good thing. Third, to date I have raised $4,483.62 all due to the amazing generosity each and every one of you have shown me over the last 6 months.

While I may not have competed for the win, or even the fastest twenty-four year old Jew from Arizona (I should check to see if I can claim that), I did complete what is known as one of the hardest marathons out there in 4:44. When I first started this whole experience, I stated my goal time as under 5 hours. During training I felt confident to drop this down 30 minutes. I felt great going into race weekend and knew that if I stayed smart, I could perhaps even beat that time. Well, as they say, the best laid plans.

Just like my previous long runs, I had to get up incredibly early, waking up at 5 am. After some light breakfast of yogurt, a banana, and a granola bar, I took the first Orange line train to meet my teammates and take the buses to Hopkinton where my destiny awaited me. Although I can remember the last time I stayed up until 5 am and not the last time I woke up that early, I didn't feel sleepy, groggy, or any of the other seven dwarfs. Once on the bus, I spoke to a man from Spain, Jesus Corral. His English wasn't great but we were able to have a nice little conversation. He even took down my name so he could write about me in his blog. (Side note: if anyone speaks Spanish and could try to find his blog online, I'd greatly appreciate the link!)

By the time we arrived to Hopkinton it was close to 8 am, but we still had two and a half hours to kill before we would cross the starting line. I made my way along with a few other DFMC teammates to the parrish that is open only to DFMC runners. All other runners must wait outside with thousands of others. Once inside, I gathered everything, decided what to wear, mingled, said my hellos, pinned my number on, went to the bathroom, mingled some more, unsuccesfully tried to rest, repinned my number, went to the bathroom again, and before I knew it, it was approaching the hour.

Seeing the thousands of runners enter the corrals was amazing. I think that was the first time I truly understand the magnitude of this experience. I was excited and not a bit scared. The gun went off and we started, slowly walking at first, working our way up to running pace. Before I knew it, the first mile was over, but not before watching countless runners dart into the woods for quick bathroom breaks, even the ladies. Then the second mile, and the third. I stayed at a good pace and just tried to enjoy the experience. Once I felt comfortable in my stride I started giving high-fives to the people enthusiastically cheering all along the sidelines. This stayed pretty constant for the first 13 miles or so, and then we hit Wellesley. A half mile away, I could hear them. It sounded like the langoliers (Stephen King reference for those who don't know). Then I was there, and everyone wanted high fives and kisses so I proceeded to give them both (only on the cheek). Only later when my forearm started cramping did I realize holding my arm up during this was a bad idea.

At mile 16 I saw my parents and Leslie as well as Dana-Farber volunteers. My pace had started to slow and I knew the last 10 would be a struggle but I would get there. I had to walk part of heartbreak hill because at that point my left quad felt like it was ready to rip off the bone, not a pleasant feeling. Once that subsided I was able to run again but because of the intial walking, I was never able to get back to a good pace and had to walk on and off the rest of the way in pretty much until I saw the Citgo sign from Coolidge Corner and I knew I was only 2 miles away from getting there. I forced myself to run and the rest was sort of a daze. The turn onto Boylston was all that everyone said it would be and although I don't remember my friends who were there shouting at me, the crowd was unbelievable and crossing the finish line with thousands of people cheering was a remarkable experience.

I'm glad had the opportunity to be a part of such an amazing organization and effort with the DFMC. I'm glad I had the chance to run the Boston Marathon. Most of all, I'm more than happy to have been able to share this experience with you all. Through this, we have come together to raise thousands of dollars that will directly impact lives of cancer patients everywhere and that is something that is worth every bit of sweat, hard work, and above all, your generosity.

Sincerely,

Zach

Thank you all for following me and offering your words of support!


No comments:

Post a Comment